Additional information for prospective students


The Interior Design School do not offer accommodation on site, but we are able to give you help and advice while you are looking for a place to live.

Here are recommendations of areas to begin your search, which are within an easy commute of the school. There’s also advice on the different types of accommodation available, so you can choose somewhere which is right for you

LOCATIONS close to The Interior Design School:

Maida Vale /  Notting Hill / Edgware Road / Marylebone / Queens Park / Little Venice


Types of Accommodation

Private Student Halls

Privately owned student buildings are popping up all over London and there are a good range of locations and prices to choose from. The standard set up is a self-contained room within a fully serviced building, with the cost including all bills and access to any extras on site, such as a gym.

Host Families

Some families in London with large houses rent a room or a small annex to a lodger. Sometimes this can include bed and breakfast, or bed, breakfast and evening meals during the week. Rent often includes heating and household bills. The bathroom, kitchen and living room is usually shared with the family. Check the full details of this with your landlord on arrival, including laundry arrangements and use of the telephone. The cost of host family accommodation varies throughout London.

Shared House/Flat

Shared housing can be a fun way to meet people while you’re studying. Normally you will have your own room in a shared house, with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. You will have to do your own cooking and cleaning and will pay rent, gas, electric, water and other shared bills.

The landlord may also ask you for a security deposit which will be returned to you at the end of your stay; provided all bills have been paid and there has been no damage to the property. Your landlord may also ask you to sign an inventory of all the items listed in the property.

Renting a studio/one-bedroom flat can be quite costly so a shared flat with other students is usually a more cost-effective option.

Search for shared flats/houses and halls:


Discounts for Students

Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax on the household and not the individual. Your household may be exempt if all residents can prove they are students on full time courses. For Council Tax purposes a ‘full time course’ has to be at least 21 hours a week in college, unless otherwise stated.

This means that students on the Full Time Diploma course could be eligible to claim a council tax exemption or discount.  Please contact the Council in the area you live for more information.

The Interior Design School will provide student with a confirmation letter of enrolment



We advise that you do not hire a car while living in London, because of the high cost and level of congestion. There is no parking at the Interior Design School. Most residential areas have residents-only parking restrictions. Car parks are rare and tend to be expensive.

There is a congestion charge in Central London of £10 per day between 7am and 6pm.


The underground system (also known as the tube) is extensive and generally reasonable. London is divided into charging zones. The Interior Design School is in zone 2.

The nearest underground station is Paddington Station.

( peak time is before 9.30am Monday – Friday )

TFL Travelcards

TFL offer 30% off the price of adult-rate Travelcards if you are over 18 and live in London while in full time education.

You can apply for a Student Travelcard through their website: We help you with this process on the first day as you will need student ID numbers

Useful websites and contacts: